History

Arma United Methodist Church History

We have been looking up some of the history of the Arma Church and have found that it was started as a mission in the year 1912. A man by the name of J. Kansas Morgan was sent here as a missionary to preach and start a church. He preached in several communities in the area. On August 14, 1912 the first Trustees signed an affidavit organizing the church. Then on Sept. 12, 1912 land was purchased from William F. Armacost for the cost of $1.00. On Feb. 28, 1914 an official Charter was signed by the Trustees with the State of Kansas. The first church building was dedicated in January of 1915. We have a long and wonderful history, may it continue in the years to come.

Mulberry United Methodist Church History

The Mulberry United Methodist Church has its beginnings in 1870 when N.W. Taylor bought a claim a mile west of Mulberry. He was a preacher and started preaching at the home of John Tharp. Later the Tharp home became the first church building. In 1871 a 14 X 17 foot building was built and used until the present structure was built. The present building was dedicated in 1897.

Pittsburg Grace United Methodist Church History

On August 1, 1947 a home was purchased from Hanna C. Harlin at 1903 N Elm Street for $7,000 and became the first church building. On December 7, 1947 the church was organized to be known as the Elm Street Methodist Church with Rev. Samuel F. Dutton being the first pastor. On May 27, 1948 an abandoned school house was purchased for $360 and moved to the site to serve as the first sanctuary. As the church grew it was necessary to build the current sanctuary that was completed in April of 1954.


Copyright 2003-2013 Scott Roberts